Images: Free People's 2011 Holiday Catalog
Layering is not always an easy task. It can be very difficult to create an outfit that allows you to maximize your wardrobe in one complete look. I love to layer my clothing. Not just during the cold months, but I find myself wearing multiple layers year round. For me, it’s a great way to add depth to my look. I like to consider each layer (or article of clothing) as an ingredient for building my personal style recipe for the day. While this may be challenging for many, I’ve come up with 5 tips for you to keep in mind when layering your clothing.
1. Build your look from the inside out. Always start creating your layers from the bottom up until you become a pro.
2. Start with lighter weight fabrics and items on the bottom layer. As you build, your top layer should be of a heavier fabric.
3. Don’t be afraid to play with proportions to create new and interesting silhouettes, hemlines and sleeve lengths.
4. Be adventurous with color and textures. Don’t be afraid to mesh contrasting colors and textures together in one look. Be bold!
5. Equip your wardrobe with easy no-brainer layering items: vests, pullovers and cardigans.
Shop for easy to layer items and you’ll be layering like a pro in no time.