Of course we all know the benefits of drinking water, but ever since my mom called to tell me about an episode of Dr. Oz where he recommended drinking hot water, I’ve been hooked. Here’s a small list why I’m all about drinking hot water in the midst of my normal water intake.
1. Drinking hot water can be like spending time in a sauna, it purifies your body. As your body temperature rises and you begin to perspire, hot water flushes the toxins out. Add a piece of lemon first thing in the morning and it can assist in daily cleansing—helping prevent constipation.
2. I suffer from sinus and nasal congestion, especially when the air is dry. Drinking hot water helps in clearing your nasal cavity, relieving congestion and sinus pressure.
3. Drinking hot water is a great way to stay hydrated and keep warm. You might say, why not drink tea? Consuming tea with caffeine may keep you alert and warm, but it doesn’t help in hydration. The caffeine element is what can cause dehydration.
4. Hot water can improve your digestion, especially after meals. Drinking cold beverages/water during and immediately after a meal can be dangerous. (I remember my father scolding me about this, giving me an example of what happens when you mix cold water and oil.) Think about it. Drinking cold water solidifies the oil in the foods you consume—harmful for digestion. This can cause the oil in your food to breakdown faster than the solid food you’ve consumed. This lines the intestines turning into fats and possibly cancer.
5. Blood circulation is improved by drinking hot water.
6. And again with some lemon first thing in the morning, hot water is great for getting the metabolism going—perfect as a weight loss strategy.
7. Just as drinking water in general is important to maintaining healthy skin, hot water is excellent for your complexion as well!
Try drinking a daily cup of hot water. Add lemon or natural honey for flavoring if necessary as they both are good for you. And be sure to boil your water and not consume hot tap water. Your hot water should be just as clean as any temperature water you drink.